O Marafado Restaurante-Bar
“O Marafado” is a very spacious restaurant / bar, and can easily and comfortably accommodate larger groups for occasions such as birthday parties, anniversaries, Christmas parties, among others.
A wide range of mouth-watering, home made “tapas” are served at “O Marafado”: vegetarian, meat, fish and seafood, so there is something for every taste. There is also a selection of home made desserts, and a large variety of coffees.
Not only is “O Marafado” a restaurant, but also a place where friends can simply gather for a drink while listening to some good music. In the summer, enjoy a cool drink on the esplanade, in peaceful surroundings, while appreciating the panoramic view over the Monchique mountains, the sea and the Lagos marina. On wintry nights, gather round the glowing fire in the cosy bar-lounge.
Pool – For private functions in the summer, O Marafado has a large pool and BBQ area which are separate from the restaurant itself. This space must be booked well in advance. (Please enquire for further information on this outdoor area).
Please feel free to come up and take a look around, speak to the owner and generally get the feel of the place.
The idea of re-opening as a Tapas Bar came from the owner, who after having spent 7 years in Glasgow, Scotland, and having worked in a Tapas Restaurant himself whilst in that country, thought it would be a different and interesting approach to Portuguese cuisine.
- Pollo Rebozado com Miel (Peito de frango frito em polme, com mel) (Chicken fillet in a crisp batter coated with honey)
- Espetada de Frango com Chouriço (Peito de frango e chouriço caseiro) (Grilled chicken breast and chorizo kebab)
- Favas com Chouriço (Favas cozidas, com chouriço e lombinho de porco) (Broad beans casserole, with chouriço and pork fillet)
- Lombo de Porco com Figos (Lombo assado no forno com molho de figos) (Roast loin of pork with a fig sauce)
- Frango na Púcara (Caçarola de frango com m vinho tinto e ervas aromáticas) (Lamb casserole with herbs and red wine)
Peixe e marisco (Fish & Seafood)
- Camarão Piri-piri (Camarão frito com alho, vinho branco e piri-piri) (Fried tiger prawns with garlic and piri-piri)
- Cocktail de Salmão Fumado e Camarão(Salmão fumado e camarão com molho “Marie Rose”(Smoked salmon and prawn cocktail w/ “Marie Rose” sauce)
- Espadarte Grelhado (Filete de espadarte com molho vinagrette) (Grilled fillet of swordfish with vinagrette sauce)
- Atum Grelhado (Filete de atum grelhado com manteiga de alho e pimento) (Grilled tuna fillet with garlic butter and grilled peppers).
The story behind “O Marafado”
Once upon a time, farmers used to grow their barley on a hill, known as Falfeira, on the outskirts of Lagos.
On that hill was a little cottage and next to it a barn. At the very top there was a large stone threshing-floor, where the grain used to be separated from the chaff – this was called an “eira”. In the 70’s the opportunity arose to buy this lovely plot, with the aim of building a restaurant with panoramic views. Eventually, the restaurant was built; an outdoor grilling area, a pool and an esplanade all followed, still maintaining the threshing-floor as well as other rustic features.
In 1979, the inauguration of Restaurante “O Marafado” took place. After 3 decades of functioning as a typical restaurant, the decision was made to re-open as a Tapas Bar. An innovative concept, with a view to exploiting a different type of gastronomy, and alter the standard restaurant style, to a more relaxed and cosy style instead.
So, after some upgrades and renovations were made, “O Marafado” re-opened in 2009 as a Tapas Bar. For those who aren’t familiar with the term, “tapas” is a Spanish concept where meals are served in smaller portions, allowing each person to sample more than one dish.
Restaurant Menus: Click here
Send Message to listing owner
O Marafado Restaurante-Bar